Take Ten: Kelsi Kendel
Say hello to Kelsi, one of the original members of the OCM blog. You might recognize her as one of Saskatoon’s #instamoms, always ready for a photo op with her adorable mini. When she’s not in the office, her life beyond the 9 to 5 revolves around her family, boutique she runs alongside her husband, escaping the cold winters by jet setting to So Cal, and working on her home and yard.
Hi ladies! As much as I love the spotlight and making people laugh, sometimes I find it hard to be serious, and share about myself… so here goes nothing; 10 Things You Don’t Know About Me…
1. I grew up dancing; ballet, tap, jazz and hip-hop. As I got older, I mainly focused on ballet. Once in high school, I traded in my ballet slippers for cheerleading shoes (Go Saints!). At just one year old, my daughter has already demonstrated her own love for dance and I can’t wait to get her in a tutu.
2. 16 months ago my life and I changed for the better, when I gave birth to my daughter Bella Rose. Try as I may, there are no words to describe how being a mother has affected me. I truly feel like a different person. I am more confident, at peace, content, and calm. I am in awe of her and everything she does. Of course motherhood is not always sunshine and rainbows but it is what makes my world go round.
3. I come from a BIG blended family. Technically I have three brothers, one step brother, one step sister, and one half sister. I fall somewhere in the middle, although I am 12 years older than my youngest brother, so I feel like I identify more as the oldest. I love my family fiercely. My mom is one of my best friends. Don’t mess with them… ;)
4. I am a speech-language pathologist (SLP). I earned my Master’s Degree at Minot State University after 7 LONG years of university. I work in the specialized field of pediatric feeding and dysphagia (swallowing disorders). Many people do not realize this is within the scope of a speech therapist. I love my job, as well as my patients and their families.
5. My husband and I were high school sweethearts. We started dating in grade 9, after he won me over with a comedy routine involving a karaoke machine and air freshener. Of course we had to have our break ups and make ups over the years, but he is and always will be the love of my life <3We got engaged after 10 years of dating, married after 12 years, and have been married for 3 years now.
6. Not to pump my own tires, but I am typically considered 'the funny one' of the group. In fact, I was voted 'Class Clown' at my college graduation. I love making people laugh. I pride myself on my whit and humour. In another life, I would be a stand up comedian (think Chelsea Handler). Not everyone appreciates my dry sense of humour but those aren't the kind of people I want in my life ;)
7. I am a Type A Personality. I consider myself to be very organized. I thrive off of schedules, routines, to do lists, labels, and colour coding. I HATE when my house gets messy, which happens more often than I would enjoy, now that I am a working mom.
8. I am a highly emotional person. When it comes to the people I care about, I can’t hide my feelings. I am a crier; it comes out when I am happy, sad, frustrated, when I see commercials, news stories… you name it! This is worse certain times of the month more than others ;)
9. I am a lover of all things neutral. I can’t help it… my eyes are just attracted to neutrals. The color palette of my home and closet involve white, off white, ivory, cream, beige, tan, nude, light grey, and blush. Color hurts my eyes ;)
10. Although I am completely satisfied with my life how it is, my future aspirations include more travel (Bora Bora, Paris, and Australia are on my list), more babies (one or two more?), being my own boss, and expanding on my blogging career.
Ok that wasn't so bad! I enjoyed sharing some personal facts with you today and I encourage you to do the same on your social feed. Just be sure to tag #OCMTakeTen so we can learn more about you too.
Headshot by Erin Crooks