So how do I do it?? Well, I wonder this myself some days. There are good days and there are not so good days. I kind of work off of a day by day, week by week schedule. I have a life calendar on our fridge. This contains kid stuff, life stuff, meetings and appointments and work stuff. I used to be cool and have it all colour coordinated but who are we kidding, that ends come february of every year.
I have a very organized system. One would say I'm a little OCD with that kinda stuff but hey it works. From sticky notes, to wall calendars, to my block books, one for orders and one for my to do's, I'm a writer downer. I also recently just started part time day care at two days a week. I make these two days my office days. It was really hard for me cause I love being home with the kids but yeesh- momma's need a break too right!! I would love to say I stay home in my beautiful office my handy husband created for me but can I stay focused?? nope. there's laundry to do, floors to clean, food to prep. SO I head out to your local coffee shops and power down at the key board. *blog post coming soon on my fav coffee shops to edit it*
I also have this fabulous Work/Balance for photographers print out that I have hanging in my office. Now, I admit that I don't follow of these points but it's a pretty great outline to go by. Some of you may know it but if you don't. TAKE it, APPLY it and USE it!!!
1. Take off two consecutive days to make a "weekend" (even if you work saturdays and sundays) ..... this I need to work on.
2. Hire Household help
3. Outsource your photo editing and other tasks. .... yup, working on this.. but again, my OCD
4. Check email ONLY twice a day, at designated times. (This is tough with iPhone capabilities)
5. UNPLUG-- NO electronics -- one day a week.
6. Keep strict office hours with a timer
7. schedule time for fun and exercise. (holy batman, I can not WAIT to start running again)
8. Remind yourself, why... and for whom you work!
9. Leave your camera at home when you are invited to anything social. - I totally do this.
20. Do something that inspires you or challenges you once a month.
I also want to thank my clients for being so kind and loyal to me. If it were not for you beautiful people I wouldn't get to create what I love. So from the bottoms of the bottoms- thank you. You are ALL very much appreciated.