I've been preparing for my second trip to Vegas this year (i know, crazy)!! Not typical for me, but there happened to be two important events there this year that I just couldn't miss out on! One being a bachelorette (so fun!), and now I'm heading off to a wedding! Anyways, the point is that while packing I decided I needed some new exciting jewellery! (prob sounds crazy to most people that know me, everyone knows that I have WAAAAY too much jewellery! a bit obsessed) So I decided to take on a DIY and tackle a trend thats been around for a while, and probably isn't going away anytime soon. The real reason that I wanted to make a body chain is because, lets face it, it's hard to find a nice one in the stores! So many celebrities are rocking these, you can make them delicate and simple, or bold and glitzy depending on your type. Not only are there so many styles, but also so many ways to wear them! With a top (on top of it, or underneath with glimpses of it sticking out), with a dress, or if your feeling bold they are a great addition to your swimsuit attire.
Supplies you will need:
- needlenose pliers
- different weights of chain
- hoops (for securing chains together)
- eye pin posts (optional, depending on style you create)
- beads of choice (also optional, can keep it simple and JUST use chain)
1. I started my first design by making the beaded post that I wanted to use as my focal point at the front of the body chain. Just take an eye pin post and fill with beads of your choice, then close up the loose end with some needle nose pliers, creating a circular shape to match the other side.
2. Attach 2 long pieces of chain to one side of your eye pin using the pliers to open and close up the hole to secure.
3. Hold the beaded post up to your chest where you would like it to sit. Bring the two chains, one over each shoulder and down towards your hips then back up to the bottom of the post. Make sure each chain is the same length and secure to the bottom of your post.
4. Once it is in the formation of a figure 8 try it on! then secure a point in the back with a jump hoop, really it's up to you where to secure it depending how you want it to fit!
Next up I made another style, very similar to the first but this time with 2 different weights of chain and no beads included.
This one has a piece of thick chain that is about 5 inches long in the front and one that is about 12 inches long in the back and it has a totally different look, especially the shape in the back!
I really liked the first one with the simple line of gold beads in the front but wanted to make it again with a bit more wow. Same design as the first one, but just added some long chains by the hips to make it stand out a bit more for the bold nights. (VEGAS, am.i.right?)
Here is a couple beautiful examples of how to wear a body chain UNDERNEATH your clothes for those of you that want to try the trend but think it's a bit too much for your style. Throw it on with a v-neck tee or even a dress with a deep v! It also looks amazing peeking out under a crop top! I'm sure you can also imagine it with a cute bathing suit, perfect addition to a tropical trip!
There you have it! I'm feeling pretty excited about this addition to my getup! If you would LOVE one of these body chains, but just can't find the time or energy yourself to make them I will be selling some at Tonic soon! Leave your name with the ladies if you would love one!